A Year in Review
Now 2014 is coming to an end and WOW has this year flown! 2014 has been filled with many awesome gigs, memories and wicked new albums, some of which I shall share with you now as I look back on this year.
Highlights of the Year
- Finally getting to see The Color Morale and Blessthefall live and also getting to meet Blessthefall after show on the Boys of Summer tour!
- Standing for over 7 hours at the Summer Rage Festival but getting to see all of the awesome upcoming talented bands from Adelaide and scoring an awesome spot to watch Hellions, Hand of Mercy and In Hearts Wake.
- Soundwave Festival, one of my favourite days of the year when it comes around. This year I managed to catch Real Friends, The Story So Far, Mayday Parade, Asking Alexandria (who I even got to meet at the signing tents!), Suicide Silence, Deez Nuts, In Hearts Wake, A Day to Remember, Motionless In White, Rob Zombie, The Ghost Inside and Letlive which made for a truly awesome day.
- Groovin the Moo finally came to South Australia! Managing to survive half of Parkway Drive’s set at barrier was definitely a highlight of the day! Loon Lake, Violent Soho and Karnivool were also good to watch.
- Getting to interview Tommy from Breathe Carolina and Mark Heylmun of Suicide Silence!
- Catching In Hearts Wake again on their Earthwalker tour which felt like a very magical show to be a part of. It was great to meet Kyle from the band and getting to see Endless Heights perform live again was awesome. (Check out my list of bands to look out for in 2015 because they are on it!)
- Meeting Crafter of Confession at the Rampage tour!
- Snapping up a ticket to see Masketta Fall play a secret show in Adelaide on their Big Dog Adventure tour, with the band spending an hour after the show meeting, chatting and taking selfies with fans before buying us soft serves from Hungry Jacks!
- Going along to see The Used and Taking Back Sunday play at HQ in Adelaide and witnessing one of the best live shows I’ve been to and seen to date! Not only were opening act Corpus such the perfect fit for the bill but The Used and Taking Back Sunday proved that they still know how to rock! The energy, nostalgia for my early teen years and sense of community in that night was unbelievable and an experience I will never forget.
- Seeing The Amity Affliction for the sixth time, as part of their Let the Ocean Take Me tour. Amity + Architects + Issues + Stray from the Path + Deez Nuts = ONE AWESOME SHOW! Taking my little sister to her first ever concert like this was pretty cool too.
- Watching Neck Deep and falling in love with State Champs at Fowlers. The Away Game from Adelaide were the wicked opening act who you should go and look up now!
- Going to my first ever hip hop/rap show to see Allday! He’s a pretty cool guy 🙂
- Being involved in a sea of sweat and party at Violent Soho in November!
- Discovering heaps of new music and bands to listen to
Lowlights of the Year
- Bands breaking up! R.I.P to all the other bands that broke up in 2014, especially you For All Those Sleeping L
- Missing out on so many awesome tours and shows for various reasons
Favourite Albums of 2014 (This is only some of them!)
Architects – Lost Forever // Lost Together (HANDS DOWN BEST ALBUM OF 2014 IN MY OPINION!)
The Amity Affliction – Let The Ocean Take Me
The Used – Imaginary Enemy
Of Mice & Men – Restoring Force
The Ghost Inside – Dear Youth
Beartooth – Disgusting
Issues – Issues
Breathe Carolina – Savages
In Hearts Wake – Earthwalker
Crown the Empire – The Resistance: Rise of the Runaways
Motionless In White – Reincarnate
The Color Morale – Hold On Pain Ends
This Wild Life – Clouded
Confession – Life and Death
Slipknot .5: The Gray Chapter
Trophy Eyes – Mend, Move On
Suicide Silence – You Can’t Stop Me
Save the Clock Tower – Wasteland
Endless Heights – New Bloom
Ed Sheeran – X
Allday – Startup Cult
For All Those Sleeping – Incomplete Me
Gerard Way – Hesitant Alien
Miss May I- Rise of the Lion
You Me At Six – Cavalier Youth
Slaves – Through Art We Are All Equals
Chiodos – Devil
Favourite songs of the Year
Bring Me the Horizon – Drown
Falling in Reverse – God, If You Are Above…
Sleeping with Sirens – Kick Me
Northlane – Rot
Stick To Your Guns – Nobody
Enter Shikari – The Last Garrison
Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars – Uptown Funk
Now I know that there were hundreds of more shows that I could have been to this year and heaps more albums that I haven’t had the chance to listen to (although I will listen to most of them eventually) but I believe that this year has been really good. This time last year my blog had 10,000 views and at the time of writing this, my blog’s view count was over 85000 so people ARE actually reading this blog, so thankful! Next year can only be better with more shows, more new music and more memories to make! I am truly grateful for all of the support I have received over the past year from everyone, especially from those who are in bands and probably get asked the same question about 5 times before it comes to my turn to interview them, but they answer it anyway… THANK YOU!
Bring on 2015!